Injured in a car accident? Here’s an important list of do’s and don’ts to help make sure your case starts on a solid foundation.
This may seem hard to believe, but your car accident injury lawsuit actually starts the moment another vehicle crashes into yours.
Laying the appropriate groundwork for a lawsuit starts at the scene of the accident. Not every car accident ends with a trial, but yours might, so it’s important to have a good beginning with a few do’s and don’ts.
If it’s safe to do so and you are able to, it’s important to do the following:
- Do get the other driver’s information, including his or her insurance.
- Do get contact information for any witnesses. Do this FIRST, because witnesses tend to drift away quickly.
- Do get photographs of the accident scene, damage to all vehicles involved, your injuries and those of anyone in your vehicle. If you don’t have a digital camera with you, use your cell phone to get as many photos as possible.
- Do seek immediate medical attention for any injuries; be very detailed in describing your injuries and pain.
- Additional details on what you should do if you’ve been injured in an auto accident: FAQs: What Now?
The don’ts are just as important:
- Do not admit fault to anyone; this includes the other driver, any witnesses and the police. Let the police determine which driver is at fault for the accident; it’s their job.
- Do not talk to anyone other than the police and emergency medical personnel about the accident. Answer police questions truthfully, but do not admit fault. Above all, do not talk to any insurance company, be it yours or the other driver’s, without first talking to a personal injury attorney.
As soon as possible following the accident, call Kuzyk Law for a free consultation to discuss the accident. Our experienced accident lawyers will ask for details of the accident; we’ll want to see your photos. We’ll discuss the claims process with you, so you’ll know what to expect. If there is mutual agreement about your representation, we’ll do all the work of putting your claim together, starting with filing claims with the insurance companies. We’ll get your car repaired ASAP, if possible, and refer you to medical providers if you wish. This leaves you free to concentrate on recuperating from your injuries.
Additional reading on protecting your case right from the start: FAQs: How Can I Make Sure I’m Protected?
Depending on the severity of the injuries, the recuperation period could be long and painful. Do everything your doctors tell you; do not miss any medical appointments. The liability insurance company will hold this against you when it comes to settle your claim, saying you must not have been hurt that bad or you would have kept the appointment.
Keep all receipts for expenses related to the accident; you may also want to keep a diary about how the accident impacted your life and the lives of family members.
A FINAL DO
Let your attorney do all the talking to the liability insurer. Liability insurance companies are not your friend. They’ll try their best to avoid paying you the true value of your claim.
Kuzyk Law knows just how to handle insurance companies. We’ve won nearly $1 billion for our clients since 1971. If you think you have a valid claim, call Kuzyk Law for a consultation today; we’ll help you get the compensation you deserve.