The answer to this question is very subjective. The qualities you look for in an auto accident attorney can be quantified, such as researching experience and obtaining rates, but other parts are less so, such as the rapport you feel with a particular lawyer. Being involved in an auto accident that has resulted in injury can complicate things as you attempt to seek out the best representation for you.
Overall, it’s important that you get support and help from legal professionals who know this branch of the law backwards and forwards. Choosing the right auto accident lawyer in Los Angeles will ensure your best interests and legal rights will be protected. Aside from getting medical attention, hiring an auto accident lawyer is the first step in securing the compensation you deserve so that financial worries don’t cloud your future.
The right lawyer can help you recover monetary damages due to the crash and reimbursement for medical expenses.
Outline the Fee Arrangement
When meeting with possible auto accident attorneys, you’ll likely go over their rates and fees. Many don’t charge anything until and unless you win or settle. However, you should still be aware of what they are charging you because you will end up paying it at some point. What is expected of you in terms of payment? Find out what percentage of the award will go the lawyer. The going rate is between one-third and 40 percent of the total award. Ask for a printout of fees and hourly rates so you can refer to it later. Of course, this number is not set in stone. Many factors affect the total bill, from the complexity of the case to longevity of the case. Car accident lawsuits can last months or even years and they’re not all cut and dried. Things have to be proven, filed and verified, and that all takes time.
Arm Yourself With Questions
The initial meeting with any lawyer is very important. This is your opportunity to vet the professional, which will ultimately lead to your decision to hire them or not. Go armed with a set of questions to ask so you don’t forget. You’ll want to touch on the following areas:
- The number of successful verdicts and settlements they have under their belts.
- The number of years they have practiced personal injury law, and auto accident law in particular.
- What percentage of their practice is comprised of auto accident claims.
- How many car accident victims they represent each year.
- Frequently of handling similar cases with similar resulting injuries.
- Membership in bar associations or professional organizations.
Assess the Consultation Later
After your consultation, you may understandably be overwhelmed. You’ll have to do some self-reflection later, pondering these questions:
- Am I comfortable with this lawyer and the associated team I will be working with?
- Are their rates reasonable?
- Do they have the experience and skills necessary to handle my case?
- Did they explain issues involved in my case in a way I could understand?
- Does the proposed fee arrangement seem fair?
- What is my gut feeling about the lawyer?
- Do they have the compassion I need to feel comfortable as well as the tenacity that’s required for a successful conclusion to my case?
- Are they easy to communicate with?
- Are my phone calls returned promptly?
No Substitute for Experience
Because personal injury law is far-reaching and complex, every specialized nice has specific rules and laws. For example, the rules relating to auto accidents are vastly different to the ones in criminal cases. This is why it’s important to identify an attorney that handles your specific kind of case. It’s important to choose correctly, as you will be working with your auto accident attorney for the foreseeable future.
Contact Kuzyk Law
A stable case is built on the foundation of strong representation. Kuzyk Law can form the foundation of your quest to seek fair damages for your injuries. Learn more when you contact us at 661-945-6969 for your no-cost initial consultation.