Slip and fall accidents account for 15 percent of all accidental deaths in this country, with 60 percent occurring in retail and wholesale stores, and 25 percent in the workplace. These types of injuries are second only to motor vehicle accidents in number. Twenty-two percent of all falls lead to the victim missing more than a month of work.
Slips and falls are commonly grouped under the term “premises liability.”
Premises liability essentially means the owner of a residential or business property must do what they can to maintain their property in a reasonably efficient manner to prevent safety hazards for guests or customers. If they fail to do that, they could be liable for personal injury on the premises. The tricky part comes in proving the liability where the accident occurred.
It’s hard for any single person to do on their own. Luckily, Kuzyk Law in Lancaster has over 45 years of experience in cases like these.
Get Kuzyk Law on your side to research and fight your case so you can be awarded an adequate monetary payout for your injuries. Leaving this solely up to the insurance companies means you will be victimized twice: once for the injury, and once with a paltry payout that barely covers your immediate medical bills.
Common Premises Liability Injuries
Common premises liability injuries, such as slips and falls, can include:
- Traumatic brain injury leading to ongoing cognitive impairment, mood changes, and seizures
- Sprains and fractures: Due to the abrupt movement of slipping and falling, it’s very easy to twist a knee or ankle. Injuries include fractures of the forearm, leg, ankle, upper arm, wrist and hand.
- Shoulder injuries: Shoulder dislocation, also known as “brachial plexus injury”
- Hip fractures: These often require surgery and hospitalization for at least a week, followed by extensive rehabilitation. The statistics are alarming: one out of five hip fracture patients dies within a year of the injury.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Damaged vertebrae, slipped or herniated discs, severe pain, limited mobility, and paralysis.
Insurance Companies Only Provide Meager Payouts
If left to their own devices, insurance companies will try to get away with giving you the smallest payout possible. This is just how they operate; it’s how they maintain high profits.
However, you have a legal right to representation in order to obtain a larger settlement award that will cover all of your needs, from hospital and surgery bills to rehab and lost wages and pain and suffering.
Kuzyk Law Makes the Insurance Companies Pay
Call Kuzyk Law right away. We won’t settle for their bare minimum. We act as your voice, cutting through the insurance bureaucracy so you can get the financial payout you deserve in order to provide for yourself and your family.
All we ask is that you call us immediately after obtaining medical help. Time is of the essence.
Also, keep all paperwork and even prescription bottles pertaining to your case, and refrain from speaking about your case with anyone but us. Follow your doctor’s orders so you can heal properly and quickly. Keep any pictures you can get showing the scene of the slip and fall, your injuries and the treatment you received.
It all starts with a call to our personal injury team at 661-945-6969 for a free case evaluation. Kuzyk Law is on your side.