Getting the most for your car accident injury doesn’t just happen. The insurance company won’t automatically give you what you deserve over the long haul when it comes to your recovery and medical bills. Someone has to be in your corner pushing for the best amount. That person is your trusted San Diego car accident lawyer.
Check out these 10 tips on getting the highest settlement possible, then call Kuzyk Law for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation at 661-945-6969.
- File your lawsuit immediately. Once your doctor releases you from treatment, you should call a lawyer. Filing your lawsuit quickly will put pressure on the insurance companies. They’re usually in no hurry to settle cases unless they know they can settle the suit for much less than it is worth or unless they feel mounting pressure due to an approaching court date. The insurance company will become serious about settling if they know you’ve hired lawyers.
- Attend all doctor visits until he or she releases you from care. Often times, car accident victims stop seeing their doctor too soon because they start feeling better. However, your doctor is the only one who knows the complications that could come up as a result of your injury. If you’re worried about cost, don’t be: those costs will be covered by the other party’s insurance company if you settle the case.
- Hire a qualified trial lawyer evaluate your case. Just like you had your doctor look at your injuries, you should also have your lawyer evaluate the potential of your case. Consultations are free, so there’s nothing to lose. The insurance company hopes you settle fast and they’ll do all they can to make that happen before you have a chance to consult with an attorney.
- Know your rights. By having an experienced personal injury trial attorney review your file, you are being as informed as you can – someone who knows his or her rights. Your lawyer will look over the police report, doctors’ records, medical bills, time off work and witness statements to provide you with an expert opinion about the possible case value.
- Know your insurance coverage options: In many cases, an injured victim can collect from two to three different insurance policies at the same time, in a legal sense. However, not everyone knows that and no one will tell you, so you have to be savvy in searching for various insurance coverages. Your qualified personal injury attorney can determine if you can collect from more than one policy.
- Not all lawyers are alike: You may assume that just because you hire a personal injury lawyer with experience in your type of case that you’re getting the best service possible. Truth be told, many attorneys play it safe and always push for settlements to avoid going to court. That’s because many such lawyers haven’t even seen the inside of a courtroom and don’t know how to handle the complexities of a trial.
- Hire someone who won’t back down. While it’s usually best to settle if you can, it’s not always the only – or best – course of action. You want to select a car accident attorney that isn’t afraid to head to court if pushed against the wall.
- Know your injuries: You may assume that if you aren’t feeling excruciating pain, you’re not injured. This isn’t always the case. Sometimes, injuries caused by accidents may not show up for days or weeks. Many people are too quick to rule out injuries simply because they haven’t yet appeared. Accidents can also bring on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) much later. Never underestimate your physical or emotional injuries.
- You are the only one who can ensure a thorough investigation of your case: Many accident victims assume the police and their insurance company will investigate the accident itself, interview witnesses and guide their case to closure with their best interests in mind. Unfortunately, law enforcement is focused on solving a crime, if any, and insurance companies – even your own – are only worried about how much they’ll have to pay out in the end. It falls on you to do a majority of your own work. YOU have to be your own advocate!
- Gather the facts: Collect witness statements, police reports and medical reports to bolster your case. You should also hire a private investigator or accident reconstruction expert in complex cases to gather physical evidence that may exonerate you or prove your case. You could be put at a disadvantage if you don’t lead your own investigation to support your claim.
Contact Kuzyk Law
Above all, you have to act fast. Make that important call to Kuzyk Law at 661-945-6969 so the best car accident attorney in San Diego can evaluate your case, determine if you have one, and get the ball rolling.