A spinal cord injury can leave a wake of devastation in your life, as you face possible loss of mobility, numbness or paralysis. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you could be entitled to a personal injury settlement that would give you the funds needed to navigate your new reality. Rehab, surgery, medication, home care and more can all cost well into the thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
If you need to file an insurance claim or a lawsuit, you will come across many challenges as you identify your available damages, value your claim, and prove the responsible party was at fault – all to negotiate a fair settlement. It can be nearly impossible to handle this all on your own. You need an experienced spinal cord injury lawyer in Lancaster to level the playing field against the insurance companies and opposing lawyers. They will be able to review your case, determine the value of your damages, and offer you the best chance of recovering the money you need to move forward.
What Can a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Do For You?
When your injury has resulted from the negligence of another person, there are two ways you can attempt to collect damages:
- Sue the person or entity that injured you, take the case to trial and have a judge or a jury decide your compensation.
- Accept an out-of-court settlement, either before suing or at any point in the trial up to verdict announcement. In accepting an offer, you will receive a sum of cash in exchange for your signature that releases the other party from further liability.
There are advantages and disadvantages associated with each of these options. If you hire a spinal cord injury lawyer in Lancaster, he or she:
- Will be familiar with the payouts common in spine injury cases like yours, helping you determine if a settlement offer is fair or not.
- Can negotiate with the insurance company to arrive at a reasonable settlement.
- Apply advanced knowledge of spinal cord cases to ensure you have collected the evidence and experts needed to convince a jury to award you the damages you require.
Whether your spinal cord injury is mild or serious, the responsible party should pay up. Your spinal cord injury lawyer will make sure that happens.
Risks of Pursuing a Claim Without an Attorney
Even with serious injuries and a seemingly slam-dunk case, spinal cord injury claims and lawsuits are notoriously difficult to win. Taking on a case without assistance of an attorney can put you at risk for:
- Missing a deadline or making a procedural mistake
- Failing to prove the other party was at fault
- Miscalculating damages
- Agreeing to an unfair settlement
- Failing to collect the right evidence
To this last point, it’s crucial to collect the evidence immediately after your accident that you will need later on. When you don’t have an attorney by your side, you may forget to take photos, get witness statements, obtain the right medical advice, or understand what documents you need to keep.
Remember: your actions before filing a claim can have a significant effect on your recovery. An experienced spinal cord injury lawyer will guide you in the right direction so no steps are missed.
Quite simply, spinal cord injury lawsuits and insurance claims require the knowledgeable guidance and support of a personal injury attorney skilled in this area. You can’t afford to take the process lightly, as spinal injuries require extensive, expensive, treatment and rehab; a lawyer will help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Contact Kuzyk Law
Spinal cord injuries cost money — lots of it. Will you have enough to pay your bills and live comfortably? It’s important to secure the services of an experienced spinal cord injuries lawyer for help. Call Kuzyk Law now for a free, no-obligation consultation at 661-945-6969.